ATTENTION! All candidates: Please ensure that the spelling of the name in which you book your test matches exactly the spelling of your name on the ID you will present at the test centre. This is very important as you may not be allowed to test if the names differ.
If you have just one name entered on your passport i.e. no surname, when booking online please use that name for both the First Name field and the Surname Field on the booking form. Failure to do so will cause issues at the test centre.
Special care should be taken by candidates with multiple parts to their Surname(Last Name). Please ensure that you do not enter any part of your Surname (Last Name) into the Middle Name field when booking your test.
Candidates with more than one Surname (Last Name) should include ALL parts of their Surname (Last Name) in the Surname (Last Name) field. Your first and last name (Surname) MUST match the ID you intend to use on the day of your Driver Theory Test.
*Category C & D candidates, please scroll down for identification requirements*
Test Category A & B Candidates
You must bring acceptable proof of identification(s) from the below list with you bearing in mind the rules outlined above. You must also bring 2 identical colour passport-sized photographs that conform to the required standards, supplementary IDs may also be required as indicated below.
Only valid (in date) and original documents in good condition will be accepted. Irish Passports and Irish Passport Cards will be accepted if they are in date, or expired by no more than one year. For example; if your Irish Passport expires on September 30th, 2014, it can still be used as proof of identification until September 30th, 2015.
* Care should be taken when reviewing passports submitted as photographic ID, to ensure that such documents are valid for international use and are not designated “for internal use only”. If a passport has such a designation it is not acceptable as photographic ID.
*** If you have changed your name, you must also present a Deed Poll (issued by Central Office at the Four Courts) to prove your legal name change.
**** Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificates may only be presented as proof of a persons married name, and must be supplemented by one other form of photographic ID from the above list.
A Birth Certificate/Adoption Certificate issued in the Republic of Ireland – (Long Form Birth Certs only, short form/social welfare forms are not acceptable), Northern Ireland or Great Britain must also be presented if you intend to use a Garda National Age Card, a Third Level Student Card or Certificate of Identity as proof of identification.
Test Category C & D Candidates
Only valid (in date) and original documents in good condition will be accepted. You must bring one of the following, plus two identical colour passport-sized photographs that conform to the required standards :
- A current Category C or D Irish Learner Permit
- A full current Category C or D Irish Driving Licence, (or one from an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland)
- A full current Category B Irish Driving Licence (or one from an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland)
You must bring two identical colour passport-sized photographs in order to test. It is essential that the photographs submitted meet the below requirements, which are based on internationally accepted standards:
- Photographs should be not more than 6 months old;
- Minimum photographs size 35mm x 45mm, maximum size 38mm x 50mm;
- Full front view of the subject’s head, as he or she would normally appear;
- The image must be sharp and clear, and taken against a plain white, cream or light grey background;
- Sunglasses are not acceptable. Tinted glasses may be worn provided they do not obscure the person’s eyes.
- Only head coverings worn for religious reasons are permitted. Hair bands are not allowed.
- The head should be centred in the image. A frontal pose looking directly at the camera and showing full face must be used i.e. show a close up of your face and the top of your shoulders so that your face takes up between 70% – 80% of the frame. There should be a marked contrast between your facial features and the background of the photographs.
Unacceptable photographs include: where the face is not clear, the top of the head is not showing, person has dark glasses, home produced photographs which are not identical or where the photographs are taken against a dark background.
Candidates who do not bring both an acceptable proof of identification(s) and two identical colour passport-sized photographs will not be allowed to sit their test and will lose their test fee. No exceptions made.